Job Summary The Solution Engineering (Campus Solutions unit) of the Information Technology Services department requires a Senior Business Analyst. This role will elicit business needs and requirements to support ongoing development, upgrades and new
The Solution Development directorate of the Information Technology Services department is looking for a Business Analyst to identify business needs within the Queen's community and help research new tools and processes to address those needs. The position falls within the Solution Engineering, Teaching & Learning and Personal Empowerment team and will typically involve working with educational technologies, collaboration tools, or research tools.
This role requires an individual with strong planning and organizational skills, with a desire to use these skills to meet new technology demands and provide ways to effectively serve the needs of our faculty and students.
Collaboration is critical to the success of this role. As a member of a Solution Engineering team, you will work with key stakeholders, systems developers, systems analysts, engineers, technical operations staff and other professionals through the full development and project lifecycle. The ability to estimate project effort and meet deadlines is crucial to this role; you will employ various methods to help move a variety of projects through the plan/develop/test/transition process to deliver solutions as designed and on-schedule.
If you have extensive experience liaising with stakeholders to address technical changes to meet current and future business requirements; if you have been waiting to unleash your business analyst skills in an environment where you are limited only by your imagination, and if you enjoy translating ideas into reality, then we have a role for you. Apply to join the Solution Engineering, Teaching & Learning and Personal Empowerment team of IT Services as a Business Analyst.
• Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to address information systems changes to meet current and future business requirements.
• Researches, reviews, and analyzes the effectiveness and efficiency of existing processes and develops strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes. Facilitates business review sessions. Performs cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed changes. Prepares written proposals of recommendations and presents to business stakeholders.
• Elicits, edits, analyzes, and documents requirements to ensure business needs are met; includes brainstorming, documenting and interface analysis, and conducting interviews, focus groups or requirements gathering workshops.
• Creates business requirements documents to be shared with key stakeholders and project team members that include aspects of regulatory, business, end-user, functional or non-functional requirements and provides insight into both the current and future state requirements.
• Uses structured analysis, including process models, data models and workflow models to support and enhance requirements, to document and communicate requirements and to organize information and recommendations into coherent ideas.
• Completes detailed system functional specifications for reports, interfaces, conversions, modifications, customizations, or extensions.
• Creates multi-level test scenarios by designing test scripts, test plans and test scenarios that test outcomes to validate whether requirements have been met.
• Collaborates with other members of the IT Services team to ensure requirements and specifications align with existing and proposed tools and systems.
• Leverages business process re-engineering to identify problems and opportunities by using a variety of modelling techniques.
• Collaborates with business owners, stakeholders, and system end-users to encourage an understanding of the impact of report definition, application configuration and rules definition, workflow processes, and system enhancements on the quality of operations.
• Identifies problems, performs detailed analysis, completes system failure investigations and provides recommendations for corrective action.
• Supports business requirements and information needs by using query and reporting tools.
• Maintains an understanding of data definitions, data usage within the IT Services supported applications and data retrieval methods.
• Ensures all changes to application configurations adhere to change management and security specification requirements.
• Ensures service escalation issues, as assigned, are resolved within service standards.
• Provides analytical support to the quality review process in keeping with established project and business analysis methodology.
• Adheres to task and project deadlines; escalates potential delays to management and recommends possible solutions.
• Updates technical and business knowledge to remain current on changing systems and business processes.
• Provides occasional after hours, on-call support.
• University degree in computer science, information management or business administration combined with a minimum five years of experience with information systems (collaboration tool or educational technology experience considered an asset).
• Advanced knowledge of business analysis discipline (CCBA or CBAP certification is an asset).
• Minimum five years experience documenting business processes and with technical requirements analysis. Knowledge of activities, tasks, practices and deliverables associated with eliciting and clearly defining and documenting business processes/functions and process modeling/mapping.
• Experience working with diverse groups of people, projects, and applications to identify and bring together multiple information sources in a clear, consistent, valid and understandable format.
• Project management skills/certification considered an asset.
• Experience using and implementing online applications.
• Strong written and verbal communication and relationship management skills.
• Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Working with Others: actively seeks ideas from multiple sources for consideration to improve the performance of the team(s). Shares thoughts and information with all levels of expertise. Ensures that one's own behaviour does not negatively impact others when faced with complex situations.
• Inclusivity: welcomes an inclusive environment and coach's others to address and support those who may feel vulnerable. Ensures the diverse group receives opportunities for fair treatment regardless of background.
• Communication: takes a lead role to communicate to multiple audiences and easily explains complex information to ensure the message is understood.
• Customer Service and Support anticipates current/future needs of the client/customer and proactively seeks to address them. Schedules periodic checks points to determine if they have additional and acts to address them.
• Planning/Organizing: takes an active role in analyzing problems regarding resources/deliverables that may impact deadlines or standards and escalates for discussion and resolution. Plans medium-term requirements and provides insight into scope of potential problems and identifies possible solutions.
• Continuous Improvement: leads a team(s) and together they identify ways to improve department processes, and quality of customer service. Solicits feedback from multiple sources to identify ways to become a more highly functioning team. Actively participates in continuous learning and sets the department standard.
• Attention to Detail: actively works to address quality problems by sharing concerns with team and manager. Understands the details of the problem and identifies solutions. Seeks to understand the nature of (new/existing) assignments as it relates to own role and the expected results.
• Adaptability and Support for Change: takes an active role to positively support team members through change. Supports change by generating new ideas and offering suggestions that will benefit the team.
• Makes decisions regarding design, set-up and definition, and related aspects within functional area.
• Makes decisions based on the results achieved through consensus building sessions, which have a direct impact on how requirements and deliverables are established.
• Makes decisions on completeness of all related process tasks aligned with business unit priorities.
• Determines type and level of information needed by management to support decision making, or if and when escalation is needed.
• Determines most effective method and/or strategy to identify opportunities, risks, issues, assumptions and dependencies; presents information and gathers requirements when working with business owners, conveying potential impact of business decisions on systems and supporting processes.
• Finds solutions to unanticipated problems within Support team parameters and determines how problem and recommended solution may affect information systems and/or business processes.
• Determines appropriate strategy and content when developing training documents based on audience.
• Provides recommendations to business representatives and other analysts.