I&IT Business Consultant
If you are a results-oriented individual and experienced in providing business consulting and project management expertise pertaining to information technology, consider this challenging opportunity with the Community Services I&IT Cluster, Strategic Planning and Business Relationship Management Branch within the Ministry of Education.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- plan and lead business consultations and workshops with clients including requirements gathering, documenting business processes and flows and other supporting project documentation
- Lead the preparation of environmental scans, options analysis, cost-estimation, gap-fit analysis and business cases, project plans and proposals to aid development of information technology solutions
- Leverage business relationship management and communication skills to build consensus and develop partnerships with ministry, cluster and broader public sector partners, as well as stakeholders and vendors
- Provide business consulting advice to senior management in client ministries and cluster and lead development of I&IT strategic and operational business plans
- Lead I&IT procurement processes such as Request For Bid (RFB), Requests For Services (RFS) and vendor of record (VoR) processes
- Assist with I&IT product and service evaluations and ensure compliance and compatibility with existing standards
- Facilitate negotiations; evaluate and develop agreement contracts (e.g., memorandum of understanding, service level agreement, letter of intent) between clients and appropriate internal/external I&IT solution providers
- Provide consulting services to support senior management in client ministries and cluster in gaining knowledge and access to technology trends and new business applications
How do I qualify?
Business analysis, consultation and solution development skills:
- experience providing strategic I&IT and business consulting advice to senior management and clients
- expertise in planning, facilitating and leading consultations and workshops to elicit business requirements, documenting business processes and flows and establishing data requirements to enable the design, development and implementation of new business solutions or enhancements to existing solutions
- expertise in the preparation of environmental scans, options analysis, cost-estimation, gap-fit analysis and business cases, project plans and proposals to aid development of information technology solutions
- proven experience leading client pre-project engagements, technology solution-search and in providing solution recommendations to senior management and clients
- experience in providing business consulting advice and leading analysis and development of I&IT strategic and operational business plans
- demonstrated ability to obtain understanding of business processes, and propose new/reengineered business processes, solutions and recommendations to aid business transformation
- expertise in maintaining business relationships and providing ongoing advice, guidance and assistance to clients to meet established business needs and build consensus with stakeholders
- experience in providing consulting services to support senior management in gaining knowledge and access to technology trends and new business applications
- analytical skills to analyze information, evaluate program concepts and assess impact on business, cost and benefits
- demonstrated ability to adapt to rapid change on all work assignments
Project and contract management skills:
- expertise in project management theory, skills, techniques and formal methodology to coordinate concurrent large and small projects
- demonstrated team leadership skills to develop and foster strong project teams, plan and coordinate teams, lead projects and achieve project objectives
- demonstrated experience in coordinating the identification and development of information technology solutions that involves consultation with multiple stakeholders and service providers
- knowledge of project standards, strategies, methods and applications, to ensure project compliance
- demonstrated ability to develop appropriate performance measures for project evaluation
- experience leading I&IT procurement processes such as Request For Bid (RFB), Requests For Services (RFS) and vendor of record (VoR) processes; experience in assisting with I&IT product and service evaluations and ensuring compliance and compatibility with existing standards
- experience in facilitating negotiations and in evaluating and developing agreement contracts (e.g., memorandum of understanding, service level agreement, letter of intent) between clients and internal/external I&IT solution providers
Communication, relationship management and interpersonal skills:
- demonstrated customer and client relationship skills to determine client technology requirements, promote innovative technology solutions, advise and guide clients on technology directions and issues, and foster support among clients
- communication and consultation skills to provide advisory services and to articulate emerging information technologies and new business delivery methods and options
- demonstrated communication skills and ability to effectively facilitate communications with individuals and teams
- proven experience in engaging partners and colleagues in order to identify and recommend solutions that meet all requirements and address stakeholders concerns
- demonstrated ability to apply political acuity and diplomacy to resolve conflict and to provide factual information to senior management
- expertise in preparing and presenting information to senior management in client ministries and cluster
- ability to influence change and transformation through I&IT service delivery and design
- demonstrated knowledge of I&IT business analysis, development, systems technology planning, client technology application development, systems infrastructure, and database management
- demonstrated knowledge of industry business analysis trends, directions and emerging technologies
- experience with information management principles and data models
- expertise in relevant legislation and directives governing I&IT, privacy, security and accessibility to ensure recommendations are compliant
- experience with commonly used business software (e.g. Visio) used in business analysis
- expert knowledge of MS Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint and Planview
- a solid understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle
- $68,536 - $100,994 per year
- Two (2) permanent positions
777 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- Three (3) temporary positions
Duration up to 12 months
777 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- Please apply online, only, by Monday, February 27, 2017, by clicking on the provided "Apply" button and entering Job ID 102786 in the Job ID search field.
- Please follow the instructions to submit your application.
- Only the applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario's Human Rights Code.